Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Ian Barwick <ian(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date: 2014-07-18 07:47:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> I am not opposed to moving the contrib code into core in the manner
> that you oppose. I don't feel strongly either way.
>
> I noticed in passing that your revision says this *within* levenshtein.c:
>
> + * Guaranteed to work with Name datatype's cstrings.
> + * For full details see levenshtein.c.
Yeah, I looked at what I produced yesterday night again and came
across a couple of similar things :) And reworked a couple of things
in the version attached, mainly wordsmithing and adding comments here
and there, as well as making the naming of the Levenshtein functions
in core the same as the ones in fuzzystrmatch 1.0.

> I imagined that when a committer picked this up, an executive decision
> would be made one way or the other. I am quite willing to revise the
> patch to alter this behavior at the request of a committer.
Fine for me. I'll move this patch to the next stage then.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Move-Levenshtein-functions-to-core.patch text/x-diff 49.7 KB
0002-Support-for-column-hints.patch text/x-diff 26.3 KB