Re: Generate wait event list and docs from text file

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Generate wait event list and docs from text file
Date: 2017-09-22 06:40:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com> wrote:
> Seems an apt occasion to point out that 10rc1 is missing documentation
> for a couple events.

Meh. Thanks for pointing this out. One more.

> From src/backend/storage/lmgr/lwlocknames.txt: CLogTruncationLock was
> added to the
> docs but BackendRandomLock and LogicalRepWorkerLock are missing. (Maybe there's
> a reason for this... I just checked the diffs from 9.6 to 10 then
> checked the docs for
> completeness.)

Indeed, I can see as well that those are the three new ones between
9.6 and 10. Attached is a patch to correct the documentation, I am
adding an open item so as this does not fall into oblivion.

>> Using this set of meta-data, it is possible to generate the SGMO
>> tables and the set of include tables.
>
> The lock-related events might present a challenge here since they come
> from a different
> place. In particular, there is no single location to find the
> descriptions of tranche locks - you
> have to search through the source code and find the
> LWLockRegisterTranche() call to see
> what text it used for the lock name! (Consolidating that seems like a
> great candidate for a
> patch...)

Perhaps... I did not dig much into the details of this area. I don't
recall that it was particularly challenging either to get a base
generation in place.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
wait-events-docfix.patch text/x-patch 1.3 KB