Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size
Date: 2022-07-22 04:13:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 22 Jul 2022 at 15:22, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> BTW, the only way I found to *forcefully* exercise llvm_compile_expr()
> is to add `set jit_above_cost to 0` at the top of the test file, or
> are we missing a force_jit_mode, like there is force_parallel_mode?

I don't think we'd need any setting to hide the JIT counters from
EXPLAIN ANALYZE since those only show with COSTS ON, which we tend not
to do.

I think for testing, you could just zero all the jit*above_cost GUCs.

If you look at the config_extra in [1], you'll see that animal runs
the tests with modified JIT parameters.

BTW, I was working on code inside llvm_compile_expr() a few days ago
and I thought I'd gotten the new evaluation steps I was adding correct
as it worked fine with jit_above_cost=0, but on further testing, it
crashed with jit_inline_above_cost=0. Might be worth doing both to see
if everything works as intended.

David

[1] https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=desmoxytes&dt=2022-07-22%2003%3A04%3A03