Re: Window Function "Run Conditions"

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Window Function "Run Conditions"
Date: 2022-04-05 11:49:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 at 19:38, Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 1. We can do more on PASSTHROUGH, we just bypass the window function
> currently, but IIUC we can ignore all of the following tuples in current partition
> once we go into this mode. patch 0001 shows what I mean.

Yeah, there is more performance to be had than even what you've done
there. There's no reason really for spool_tuples() to do
tuplestore_puttupleslot() when we're not in run mode.

The attached should give slightly more performance. I'm unsure if
there's more that can be done for window aggregates, i.e.
eval_windowaggregates()

I'll consider the idea about doing all the filtering in
nodeWindowAgg.c. For now I made find_window_run_conditions() keep the
qual so that it's still filtered in the subquery level when there is a
PARTITION BY clause. Probably the best way would be to make
nodeWindowAgg.c just loop with a for(;;) loop. I'll need to give it
more thought. I'll do that in the morning.

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
windowagg_hacks.patch text/plain 1.4 KB