Re: Reduce the number of special cases to build contrib modules on windows

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reduce the number of special cases to build contrib modules on windows
Date: 2021-08-09 07:55:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 at 15:05, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any thoughts on where we should draw the line on
> parsing Makefiles? I'm a little worried that I'm adding pasing just
> for exactly how the Makefiles are today and that it could easily be
> broken if something is adjusted later. I'm not all that skilled with
> make, so I'm struggling to judge this for myself.

After thinking about this some more, I think since we're never going
to make these Perl scripts do everything that make can do, that if the
parsing that's being added seems reasonable and works for what we have
today, there I don't think there is much reason not to just go with
this.

The v10 patch I attached previously output almost identical *.vcxproj
files. The only change was in libpq_pipeline.vcxproj where the order
of the AdditionalDependencies changed to have ws2_32.lib first rather
than somewhere in the middle.

I've now pushed the final patch in this series.

Thank you to everyone who looked at one or more of these patches.

David