Re: Option to not use ringbuffer in VACUUM, using it in failsafe mode

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Option to not use ringbuffer in VACUUM, using it in failsafe mode
Date: 2023-03-31 03:54:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 at 11:50, Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Attached is an updated v6.

I had a look over the v6-0001 patch. There are a few things I think
could be done better:

"Some operations will access a large number of pages at a time", does
this really need "at a time"? I think it's more relevant that the
operation uses a large number of pages.

Missing <firstterm> around Buffer Access Strategy.

Various things could be linked to other sections of the glossary, e.g.
pages could link to glossary-data-page, shared buffers could link to
glossary-shared-memory and WAL could link to glossary-wal.

The final paragraph should have <command> tags around the various
commands that you list.

I have adjusted those and slightly reworded a few other things. See
the attached .diff which can be applied atop of v6-0001.

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-adjustments.diff application/octet-stream 2.3 KB