Re: Remove useless int64 range checks on BIGINT sequence MINVALUE/MAXVALUE values

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove useless int64 range checks on BIGINT sequence MINVALUE/MAXVALUE values
Date: 2021-07-07 08:37:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 at 00:06, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think if you're going to reject this patch, a brief comment should
> be added to that code to justify why that existing superfluous check
> is worthwhile.

It seems strange to add a comment to explain why it's there. If we're
going to the trouble of doing that, then we should just remove it and
add a very small comment to mention why INT8 sequences don't need to
be checked.

Patch attached

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
remove_surplus_int8_seq_range_check.patch application/octet-stream 1.5 KB