Re: Can we do something to help stop users mistakenly using force_parallel_mode?

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Can we do something to help stop users mistakenly using force_parallel_mode?
Date: 2023-02-08 22:50:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 at 11:26, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I've attached a patch which does the renaming to debug_parallel_query.
> > I've made it so the old name can still be used.
>
> There's a better way to do that last, which is to add the translation to
> map_old_guc_names[]. I am not very sure what happens if you have multiple
> GUC entries pointing at the same underlying variable, but I bet that
> it isn't great.

Thanks for pointing that out. That might mean we can keep the
translation long-term as it won't appear in pg_settings and \dconfig,
or we might want to remove it if we want to be more deliberate about
breaking things for users who are misusing it. We maybe could just
consider that if/when all buildfarm animals are all using the new
name.

Attached updated patch.

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
rename_force_parallel_mode_v2.patch text/plain 43.5 KB