Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq

From: Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq
Date: 2011-11-24 07:41:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2011/11/24 Alexander Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>

> Excerpts from Dmitriy Igrishin's message of Thu Nov 24 09:19:02 +0200 2011:
> >
> > > If host part of the URI points to localhost, the UNIX domain socket
> would
> > > be considered by libpq just as if you would pass "-h localhost -p
> 5433".
> > >
> > But what if the user wants to connect exactly via socket or
> > TCP/IP ?
> > And what if the user needs to specify a socket file name extension?
>
> How do you achieve that with the current psql set of command line options
> (and, possibly environment variables?)

For psql(1) see -h option and -p option
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/app-psql.html
For the libpq see host option and port option of PQconnectdbparams()
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/libpq-connect.html
In both cases:
If the value of host begins with a slash, it is used as the directory for
the Unix-domain socket.
Port specifies the TCP port or the local Unix-domain socket file extension.

> I would think the same method will work with URI, as with the proposed
> approach the URI is just decomposed into host, port and dbname parts and
> the rest of the code works like if you've had specified "-h example.net-p 5433 -d mydb" instead of the URI parameter.

Thats great, but see above.

--
// Dmitriy.