Re: Why does create_gather_merge_plan need make_sort?

From: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why does create_gather_merge_plan need make_sort?
Date: 2020-12-01 01:13:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 4:10 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On 11/29/20 3:44 PM, James Coleman wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 8:19 AM James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >>
> >> ..
> >>
> >> So I'm +1 on turning it into an ERROR log instead, since it seems to
> >> me that encountering this case would almost certainly represent a bug
> >> in path generation.
> >
> > Here's a patch to do that.
> >

> Thanks. Isn't the comment incomplete? Should it mention just parallel
> safety or also volatility?

Volatility makes it parallel unsafe, and I'm not sure I want to get
into listing every possible issue here, but in the interest of making
it more obviously representative of the kinds of issues we might
encounter, I've tweaked it to mention volatility also, as well as
refer to the issues as "examples" of such concerns.

James

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Error-if-gather-merge-paths-aren-t-sufficiently-s.patch text/x-patch 1.5 KB