Re: Nicer error when connecting to standby with hot_standby=off

From: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Nicer error when connecting to standby with hot_standby=off
Date: 2021-03-22 18:25:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 1:49 PM Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2021/03/19 23:35, James Coleman wrote:
> > Here's an updated patch; I think I've gotten what Alvaro suggested.
>
> Thanks for updating the patch! But I was thinking that our consensus is
> something like the attached patch. Could you check this patch?

As far as I can tell (I might be missing something) your v5 patch does
the same thing, albeit with different code organization. It did catch
though that I'd neglected to add the DETAIL line as separate from the
errmsg line.

Is the attached (in the style of my v4, since I'm not following why we
need to move the standby determination logic into a new
CAC_NOCONSISTENT block) what you're thinking? Or is there something
else I'm missing?

Thanks,
James

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-Improve-standby-connection-denied-error-message.patch application/octet-stream 2.6 KB