Re: [PoC] Federated Authn/z with OAUTHBEARER

From: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi" <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com" <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, mahendrakar s <mahendrakarforpg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrey Chudnovsky <achudnovskij(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Federated Authn/z with OAUTHBEARER
Date: 2023-04-27 17:35:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 3:39 PM Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com> wrote:
> Here's a newly rebased v5. (They're all zipped now, which I probably
> should have done a while back, sorry.)

To keep this current, v7 is rebased over latest, without the pluggable
authentication patches. This doesn't yet address the architectural
feedback that was discussed previously, so if you're primarily
interested in that, you can safely ignore this version of the
patchset.

The key changes here include
- Meson support, for both the build and the pytest suite
- Cirrus support (and unsurprisingly, Mac and Windows builds fail due
to the Linux-oriented draft code)
- A small tweak to support iddawc down to 0.9.8 (shipped with e.g.
Debian Bullseye)
- Removal of the authn_id test extension in favor of SYSTEM_USER

The meson+pytest support was big enough that I split it into its own
patch. It's not very polished yet, but it mostly works, and when
running tests via Meson it'll now spin up a test server for you. My
virtualenv approach apparently interacts poorly with the multiarch
Cirrus setup (64-bit tests pass, 32-bit tests fail).

Moving forward, the first thing I plan to tackle is asynchronous
operation, so that polling clients can still operate sanely. If I can
find a good solution there, the conversations about possible extension
points should get a lot easier.

Thanks,
--Jacob

Attachment Content-Type Size
since-v5.diff.txt text/plain 33.8 KB
v7-0001-common-jsonapi-support-FRONTEND-clients.patch.gz application/gzip 6.6 KB
v7-0003-backend-add-OAUTHBEARER-SASL-mechanism.patch.gz application/gzip 12.4 KB
v7-0004-Add-pytest-suite-for-OAuth.patch.gz application/gzip 29.0 KB
v7-0002-libpq-add-OAUTHBEARER-SASL-mechanism.patch.gz application/gzip 12.1 KB
v7-0005-squash-Add-pytest-suite-for-OAuth.patch.gz application/gzip 7.6 KB