Re: Finding Max Value in a Row

From: Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL (SQL)" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finding Max Value in a Row
Date: 2012-05-11 19:53:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Well the question to ask is if it is declared CHAR was that done for a
> legitimate reason? One reason I can think of is to have leading 0s in a
> 'number'. Might want to double check that code downstream is not depending
> on CHAR behavior.

Very good question and asked by myself to the original SQL author and
he explained while he didn't use the most efficient data types, he
used ones "he" felt would be more transparent across a multitude of
RDBMS vendors. So the answer is no, it would not be an issue
considering I use and will always use PostgreSQL. If someone else uses
a different vendor, they can manage that import/export process then.