Re: Adding a test for speculative insert abort case

From: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Ashwin Agrawal <aagrawal(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: Adding a test for speculative insert abort case
Date: 2019-06-05 22:49:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 8:46 PM Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Good idea.
> I squashed the changes I suggested in previous emails, Ashwin's patch, my
> suggested updates to that patch, and the index order check all into one
> updated
> patch attached.

I've updated this patch to make it apply on master cleanly. Thanks to
Alvaro for format-patch suggestion.

The first patch in the set adds the speculative wait case discussed
above from Ashwin's patch.

The second patch in the set is another suggestion I have. I noticed
that the insert-conflict-toast test mentions that it is "not
guaranteed to lead to a failed speculative insertion" and, since it
seems to be testing the speculative abort but with TOAST tables, I
thought it might work to kill that spec file and move that test case
into insert-conflict-specconflict so the test can utilize the existing
advisory locks being used for the other tests in that file to make it
deterministic which session succeeds in inserting the tuple.

--
Melanie Plageman

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0002-Add-TOAST-case-to-spec-conflict-tests.patch text/x-patch 7.4 KB
v2-0001-Test-speculative-wait-case.patch text/x-patch 9.0 KB