Re: index prefetching

From: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Georgios <gkokolatos(at)protonmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: index prefetching
Date: 2024-01-19 21:43:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 11:42 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On 1/9/24 21:31, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 9:55 AM Tomas Vondra
> > <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> >> Here's a somewhat reworked version of the patch. My initial goal was to
> >> see if it could adopt the StreamingRead API proposed in [1], but that
> >> turned out to be less straight-forward than I hoped, for two reasons:
> >
> > I guess we need Thomas or Andres or maybe Melanie to comment on this.
> >

> Yeah. Or maybe Thomas if he has thoughts on how to combine this with the
> streaming I/O stuff.

I've been studying your patch with the intent of finding a way to
change it and or the streaming read API to work together. I've
attached a very rough sketch of how I think it could work.

We fill a queue with blocks from TIDs that we fetched from the index.
The queue is saved in a scan descriptor that is made available to the
streaming read callback. Once the queue is full, we invoke the table
AM specific index_fetch_tuple() function which calls
pg_streaming_read_buffer_get_next(). When the streaming read API
invokes the callback we registered, it simply dequeues a block number
for prefetching. The only change to the streaming read API is that
now, even if the callback returns InvalidBlockNumber, we may not be
finished, so make it resumable.

Structurally, this changes the timing of when the heap blocks are
prefetched. Your code would get a tid from the index and then prefetch
the heap block -- doing this until it filled a queue that had the
actual tids saved in it. With my approach and the streaming read API,
you fetch tids from the index until you've filled up a queue of block
numbers. Then the streaming read API will prefetch those heap blocks.

I didn't actually implement the block queue -- I just saved a single
block number and pretended it was a block queue. I was imagining we
replace this with something like your IndexPrefetch->blockItems --
which has light deduplication. We'd probably have to flesh it out more
than that.

There are also table AM layering violations in my sketch which would
have to be worked out (not to mention some resource leakage I didn't
bother investigating [which causes it to fail tests]).

0001 is all of Thomas' streaming read API code that isn't yet in
master and 0002 is my rough sketch of index prefetching using the
streaming read API

There are also numerous optimizations that your index prefetching
patch set does that would need to be added in some way. I haven't
thought much about it yet. I wanted to see what you thought of this
approach first. Basically, is it workable?

- Melanie

Attachment Content-Type Size
0002-use-streaming-reads-in-index-scan.txt text/plain 7.3 KB
0001-Streaming-Read-API.txt text/plain 56.0 KB