Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY

From: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Prabhat Sahu <prabhat(dot)sahu(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY
Date: 2021-10-26 10:59:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 8:15 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 3:05 AM Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Ok, did the same in the attached 0001 patch.
> >
> > There is no harm in calling LocalSetXLogInsertAllowed() calling
> > multiple times, but the problem I can see is that with this patch user
> > is allowed to call LocalSetXLogInsertAllowed() at the time it is
> > supposed not to be called e.g. when LocalXLogInsertAllowed = 0;
> > WAL writes are explicitly disabled.
>
> I've pushed 0001 and 0002 but I reversed the order of them and made a
> few other edits.

Thank you!

I have rebased the remaining patches on top of the latest master head
(commit # e63ce9e8d6a).

In addition to that, I did the additional changes to 0002 where I
haven't included the change that tries to remove arguments of
CleanupAfterArchiveRecovery() in the previous version. Because if we
want to use XLogCtl->replayEndTLI and XLogCtl->replayEndRecPtr to
replace EndOfLogTLI and EndOfLog arguments respectively, then we also
need to consider the case where EndOfLog is changing if the
abort-record does exist. That can be decided only in XLogAcceptWrite()
before the shared memory value related to abort-record is going to be
clear.

Regards,
Amul

Attachment Content-Type Size
v40-0002-Remove-dependencies-on-startup-process-specifica.patch application/x-patch 7.6 KB
v40-0001-Create-XLogAcceptWrites-function-with-code-from-.patch application/x-patch 5.2 KB