Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression

From: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vaibhav Dalvi <vaibhav(dot)dalvi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression
Date: 2023-11-09 12:00:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 8:21 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
wrote:

> On 25.10.23 08:12, Amul Sul wrote:
> > Here is the rebase version for the latest master head(673a17e3120).
> >
> > I haven't done any other changes related to the ON UPDATE trigger since
> that
> > seems non-trivial; need a bit of work to add trigger support in
> > ATRewriteTable().
> > Also, I am not sure yet, if we were doing these changes, and the correct
> > direction
> > for that.
>
> I did some detailed testing on Db2, Oracle, and MariaDB (the three
> existing implementations of this feature that I'm tracking), and none of
> them fire any row or statement triggers when the respective statement to
> alter the generation expression is run. So I'm withdrawing my comment
> that this should fire triggers. (I suppose event triggers are available
> if anyone really needs the functionality.)

Thank you for the confirmation.

Here is the updated version patch. Did minor changes to documents and tests.

Regards,
Amul

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Prerequisite-changes-rename-functions-enum.patch application/octet-stream 6.6 KB
v3-0002-Allow-to-change-generated-column-expression.patch application/octet-stream 22.0 KB