Re: using an end-of-recovery record in all cases

From: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: using an end-of-recovery record in all cases
Date: 2021-10-18 05:26:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 7:24 PM Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 10:42 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 12:41 PM Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > > No, InRecovery flag get cleared before this point. I think, we can use lastReplayedEndRecPtr what you have suggested in other thread.
> >
> > Hmm, right, that makes sense. Perhaps I should start remembering what
> > I said in my own emails.
> >

> Here I end up with the attached version where I have dropped the
> changes for standby.c and 018_wal_optimize.pl files. Also, I am not
> sure that we should have the changes for bgwriter.c and slot.c in this
> patch, but that's not touched.

Attached is the rebased and updated version. The patch removes the
newly introduced PerformRecoveryXLogAction() function. In addition to
that, removed the CHECKPOINT_END_OF_RECOVERY flag and its related
code. Also, dropped changes for bgwriter.c and slot.c in this patch, which
seem unrelated to this work.

Regards,
Amul

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Always-use-an-end-of-recovery-record-rather-than-.patch application/x-patch 15.6 KB