Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression

From: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vaibhav Dalvi <vaibhav(dot)dalvi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression
Date: 2023-11-17 12:25:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 7:05 PM Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 2:50 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 15.11.23 13:26, Amul Sul wrote:
>> > Question: Why are you using AT_PASS_ADD_OTHERCONSTR? I don't know
>> if
>> > it's right or wrong, but if you have a specific reason, it would be
>> > good
>> > to know.
>> >
>> > I referred to ALTER COLUMN DEFAULT and used that.
>>
>> Hmm, I'm not sure if that is a good comparison. For ALTER TABLE, SET
>> DEFAULT is just a catalog manipulation, it doesn't change any data, so
>> it's pretty easy. SET EXPRESSION changes data, which other phases might
>> want to inspect? For example, if you do SET EXPRESSION and add a
>> constraint in the same ALTER TABLE statement, do those run in the
>> correct order?
>>

> I think, you are correct, but currently AT_PASS_ADD_OTHERCONSTR is for
> AT_CookedColumnDefault, AT_ColumnDefault, and AT_AddIdentity.
> AT_CookedColumnDefault is only supported for CREATE TABLE.
> AT_ColumnDefault
> and AT_AddIdentity will be having errors while operating on the generated
> column. So
> that anomaly does not exist, but could be in future addition. I think it
> is better to
> use AT_PASS_MISC to keep this operation at last.
>
> While testing this, I found a serious problem with the patch that CHECK and
> FOREIGN KEY constraint check does not happens at rewrite, see this:
>
> create table a (y int primary key);
> insert into a values(1),(2);
> create table b (x int, y int generated always as(x) stored, foreign
> key(y) references a(y));
> insert into b values(1),(2);
> insert into b values(3); <------ an error, expected one
>
> alter table b alter column y set expression as (x*100); <------ no
> error, NOT expected
>
> select * from b;
> x | y
> ---+-----
> (2 rows)
>
> Also,
>
> delete from a; <------ no error, NOT expected.
> select * from a;
> ---
> (0 rows)
>
> Shouldn't that have been handled by the ATRewriteTables() facility
> implicitly
> like NOT NULL constraints? Or should we prepare a list of CHECK and FK
> constraints and pass it through tab->constraints?

To fix this we should be doing something like ALTER COLUMN TYPE and the pass
should be AT_PASS_ALTER_TYPE (rename it or invent a new one near to that) so
that in ATRewriteCatalogs(), we would execute ATPostAlterTypeCleanup().

I simply tried that by doing blind copy of code from
ATExecAlterColumnType() in
0002 patch. We don't really need to do all the stuff such as re-adding
indexes, constraints etc, but I am out of time for today to figure out the
optimum code and I will be away from work in the first half of the coming
week and the week after that. Therefore, I thought of sharing an approach to
get comments/thoughts on the direction, thanks.

Regards,
Amul

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Allow-to-change-generated-column-expression.patch application/octet-stream 23.1 KB
v4-0002-POC-FK-and-CHECK-constraint-check.patch application/octet-stream 6.0 KB