Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY

From: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Prabhat Sahu <prabhat(dot)sahu(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY
Date: 2021-08-04 12:56:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached is the rebase version on top of the latest master head
includes refactoring patches posted by Robert.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:46 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 7:33 AM Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I was too worried about how I could miss that & after thinking more
> > about that, I realized that the operation for ArchiveRecoveryRequested
> > is never going to be skipped in the startup process and that never
> > left for the checkpoint process to do that later. That is the reason
> > that assert was added there.
> >
> > When ArchiveRecoveryRequested, the server will no longer be in
> > the wal prohibited mode, we implicitly change the state to
> > wal-permitted. Here is the snip from the 0003 patch:
>
> Ugh, OK. That makes sense, but I'm still not sure that I like it. I've
> kind of been wondering: why not have XLogAcceptWrites() be the
> responsibility of the checkpointer all the time, in every case? That
> would require fixing some more things, and this is one of them, but
> then it would be consistent, which means that any bugs would be likely
> to get found and fixed. If calling XLogAcceptWrites() from the
> checkpointer is some funny case that only happens when the system
> crashes while WAL is prohibited, then we might fail to notice that we
> have a bug.

Unfortunately, I didn't get much time to think about this and don't
have a strong opinion on it either.

> This is especially true given that we have very little test coverage
> in this area. Andres was ranting to me about this earlier this week,
> and I wasn't sure he was right, but then I noticed that we have
> exactly zero tests in the entire source tree that make use of
> recovery_end_command. We really need a TAP test for that, I think.
> It's too scary to do much reorganization of the code without having
> any tests at all for the stuff we're moving around. Likewise, we're
> going to need TAP tests for the stuff that is specific to this patch.
> For example, we should have a test that crashes the server while it's
> read only, brings it back up, checks that we still can't write WAL,
> then re-enables WAL, and checks that we now can write WAL. There are
> probably a bunch of other things that we should test, too.

Yes, my next plan is to work on the TAP tests and look into the patch
posted by Prabhat to improve test coverage.

Regards,
Amul Sul

Attachment Content-Type Size
v31-0007-Documentation.patch application/octet-stream 10.4 KB
v31-0006-Error-or-Assert-before-START_CRIT_SECTION-for-WA.patch application/octet-stream 68.4 KB
v31-0005-Implement-wal-prohibit-state-using-global-barrie.patch application/octet-stream 52.5 KB
v31-0003-Create-XLogAcceptWrites-function-with-code-from-.patch application/octet-stream 3.8 KB
v31-0004-Refactor-add-function-to-set-database-state-in-c.patch application/octet-stream 3.1 KB
v31-0002-Postpone-some-end-of-recovery-operations-relatin.patch application/octet-stream 3.3 KB
v31-0001-Refactor-some-end-of-recovery-code-out-of-Startu.patch application/octet-stream 14.2 KB