Re: ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN fast default

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN fast default
Date: 2018-03-13 12:28:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:40 PM, Andrew Dunstan
<andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

>> Going by the commitfest app, the patch still does appear to be waiting
>> on Author. Never-the-less, I've made another pass over it and found a
>> few mistakes and a couple of ways to improve things:
>>

> working on these. Should have a new patch tomorrow.

Here is a patch that attends to most of these, except that I haven't
re-indented it.

Your proposed changes to slot_getmissingattrs() wouldn't work, but I
have rewritten it in a way that avoids the double work you disliked.

I'll rerun the benchmark tests I posted upthread and let you know the results.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
fast_default-v15.patch application/octet-stream 106.8 KB