Re: automatically generating node support functions

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: automatically generating node support functions
Date: 2022-08-08 06:53:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 8:19 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 7:16 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> More likely, we need to add something explicit to Mkvcbuild.pm
> >> for this. I recall that it has stanzas to deal with updating
> >> other autogenerated files; I bet we either missed that or
> >> fat-fingered it for node-support-stamp.
>
> > I see below logic added by commit which seems to help regenerate the
> > required files.
>
> Meh ... it's not checking the data files themselves. Here's
> a patch based on the logic for invoking genbki. Completely
> untested, would somebody try it?

I tried it on commit a69959fab2 just before the commit (1349d2790b)
which was causing problems for me. On running "perl mkvcbuild.pl", I
got the below error:
wrong number of input files, expected nodes/nodes.h nodes/primnodes.h
nodes/parsenodes.h nodes/pathnodes.h nodes/plannodes.h
nodes/execnodes.h access/amapi.h access/sdir.h access/tableam.h
access/tsmapi.h commands/event_trigger.h commands/trigger.h
executor/tuptable.h foreign/fdwapi.h nodes/extensible.h
nodes/lockoptions.h nodes/replnodes.h nodes/supportnodes.h
nodes/value.h utils/rel.h

This error seems to be originating from gen_node_support.pl. If I
changed the @node_headers to what it was instead of getting it from
Makefile then the patch works and the build is also successful. See
attached.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
msvc-check-for-obsolete-node-support-2.patch application/octet-stream 2.0 KB