Re: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node
Date: 2023-09-18 11:49:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 6:32 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> > Thank you for reviewing! PSA new version patch set.
>
> Sorry, wrong patch attached. PSA the correct ones.
> There is a possibility that XLOG_PARAMETER_CHANGE may be generated, when GUC
> parameters are changed just before doing the upgrade. Added to list.

You forgot to update 0002 patch for XLOG_PARAMETER_CHANGE. I think it
is okay to move walinspect's functionality into common place so that
it can be used by this patch as suggested by Hou-San. The only reason
it is okay to keep it specific to walinspect is if we want to enhance
that functions for walinspect but I think if that happens then we can
evaluate whether to enhance it by having additional parameters or
creating something specific for walinspect.

* +Datum
+binary_upgrade_validate_wal_record_types_after_lsn(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)

How about naming it as binary_upgrade_validate_wal_records()? I don't
see it is helpful to make it too long.

Apart from this, I have made minor cosmetic changes in the attached.
If these looks okay to you then you can include them in next version.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size