Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables
Date: 2019-02-22 02:59:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 1:57 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> I think this test is going to break on nonstandard block sizes. While
> we don't promise that all tests work on such installs (particularly
> planner ones),

The reason for not pushing much on making the test pass for
nonstandard block sizes is that when I tried existing tests, there
were already some failures. For example, see the failures in the
attached regression diff files (for block_size as 16K and 32K
respectively). I saw those failures during the previous
investigation, the situation on HEAD might or might not be exactly the
same. Whereas I see the value in trying to make sure that tests pass
for nonstandard block sizes, but that doesn't seem to be followed for
all the tests.

> it seems fairly easy to cope with this one -- just use a
> record size expressed as a fraction of current_setting('block_size').
> So instead of "1024" you'd write current_setting('block_size') / 8.
> And then display the relation size in terms of pages, not bytes, so
> divide pg_relation_size by block size.

The idea sounds good. John, would you like to give it a try?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
regression.16.diffs application/octet-stream 2.6 KB
regression.32.diffs application/octet-stream 3.9 KB