Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables
Date: 2019-01-23 12:08:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 5:19 AM John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> I have a test for in-range and out-of-range for each relation fork.

I think the first two patches (a) removal of dead code in bootstrap
and (b) the core patch to avoid creation of FSM file for the small
table are good now. I have prepared the patches along with commit
message. There is no change except for some changes in README and
commit message of the second patch. Kindly let me know what you think
about them?

I think these two patches can go even without the upgrade patch
(during pg_upgrade, conditionally skip transfer of FSMs.) which is
still under discussion. However, I am not in a hurry if you or other
thinks that upgrade patch must be committed along with the second
patch. I think the upgrade patch is generally going on track but
might need some more review.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v02-0001-In-bootstrap-mode-don-t-allow-the-creation-of-files-.patch application/octet-stream 2.7 KB
v17-0002-Avoid-creation-of-the-free-space-map-for-small-heap-.patch application/octet-stream 40.1 KB