Re: display offset along with block number in vacuum errors

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Mahendra Singh Thalor <mahi6run(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: display offset along with block number in vacuum errors
Date: 2020-08-14 10:36:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 10:24 AM Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> It's true that heap_page_is_all_visible() is called from only
> lazy_vacuum_page() but I'm concerned it would lead misleading since
> it's not actually removing tuples but just checking after vacuum. I
> guess that the errcontext should show what the process is actually
> doing and therefore help the investigation, so I thought VACUUM_HEAP
> might not be appropriate for this case. But I see also your point.
> Other vacuum error context phases match with vacuum progress
> information phrases. So in heap_page_is_all_visible (), I agree it's
> better to update the offset number and keep the phase VACUUM_HEAP
> rather than do nothing.

Okay, I have changed accordingly and this means that the offset will
be displayed for the vacuum phase as well. Apart from this, I have
fixed all the comments raised by me in the attached patch. One thing
we need to think is do we want to set offset during heap_page_prune
when called from lazy_scan_heap? I think the code path for
heap_prune_chain is quite deep, so an error can occur in that path.
What do you think?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-Add-additional-information-in-vacuum-errcontext.patch application/octet-stream 10.8 KB