Re: PG Docs - CREATE SUBSCRIPTION option list order

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2021-09-06 03:14:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 12:23 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 10:32 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >> Yes, if there were dozens of list items then I would agree that they
> >> should be grouped somehow. But there aren't.
>
> > I think this list is going to grow in the future as we enhance this
> > subsystem. For example, the pending 2PC patch will add another
> > parameter to this list.
>
> Well, we've got nine now; growing to ten wouldn't be a lot. However,
> I think that grouping the options would be helpful because the existing
> presentation seems extremely confusing. In particular, I think it might
> help to separate the options that only determine what happens during
> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION from those that control how replication behaves later.

+1. I think we can group them as (a) create_slot, slot_name, enabled,
connect, and (b) copy_data, synchronous_commit, binary, streaming,
two_phase. The first controls what happens during Create Subscription
and the later ones control the replication behavior later.

> (Are the latter set the same ones that are shared with ALTER
> SUBSCRIPTION?)

If we agree with the above categorization then not all of them fall
into the latter category.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.