From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nisha Moond <nisha(dot)moond412(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2023-12-13 05:10:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 5:13 PM shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 1:22 PM Drouvot, Bertrand
> <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > > If we agree
> > > on that then it would be good to prohibit setting this GUC on standby
> > > or at least it should be a no-op even if this GUC should be set on
> > > physical standby.
> >
> > I'd prefer to completely prohibit it on standby (to make it very clear it's not
> > working at all) as long as one can enable it without downtime once the standby
> > is promoted (which is the case currently).
>
> And I think slot-sync worker should exit as well on cascading standby. Thoughts?

I think one has set all the valid parameters for the slot-sync worker
on standby, we should not exit, rather it should be no-op which means
it should not try to sync slots from another standby. One scenario
where this may help is when users promote the standby which has
already synced slots from the primary. In this case, cascading standby
will become non-cascading and should sync slots.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.