Re: Impact of checkpointer during pg_upgrade

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hou, Zhijie/侯 志杰 <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Impact of checkpointer during pg_upgrade
Date: 2023-09-08 02:48:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 5:37 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 07, 2023 at 03:33:52PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > I think if we just make max_slot_wal_keep_size to -1 that should be
> > sufficient to not let any slots get invalidated during upgrade. Do you
> > have anything else in mind?
>
> Forcing wal_keep_size while on it may be a good thing.

I had thought about it but couldn't come up with a reason to force
wal_keep_size for this purpose.

> > If we do (b) either via GUCs or IsBinaryUpgrade check we don't need to
> > do any of (a), (b), or (d). I feel that would be a minimal and
> > sufficient fix to prevent any side impact of checkpointer on slots
> > during an upgrade.
>
> I could get into the addition of a post-upgrade check to make sure
> that nothing got invalidated while the upgrade was running, FWIW.

This validation tries to ensure that we don't have any bugs/issues in
our patch. It may be a candidate for assert but I feel even if we
encounter any bug it is better to fix the bug.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.