Re: Documentation to upgrade logical replication cluster

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Katz, Jonathan" <jkatz(at)amazon(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation to upgrade logical replication cluster
Date: 2024-01-10 10:20:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 2:22 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> We have documentation on how to upgrade "publisher" and "subscriber"
> at [1], but currently we do not have any documentation on how to
> upgrade logical replication clusters.
> Here is a patch to document how to upgrade different logical
> replication clusters: a) Upgrade 2 node logical replication cluster b)
> Upgrade cascaded logical replication cluster c) Upgrade 2 node
> circular logical replication cluster.

Today, off-list, I had a short discussion on this documentation with
Jonathan and Michael. I was not sure whether we should add this in the
main documentation of the upgrade or maintain it as a separate wiki
page. My primary worry was that this seemed to be taking too much
space on pgupgrade page and making the information on that page a bit
unreadable. Jonathan suggested that we can add this information to the
logical replication page [1] and add a reference in the pgupgrade
page. That suggestion makes sense to me considering we have
sub-sections like Monitoring, Security, and Configuration Settings on
the logical replication page. We can have a new sub-section Upgrade on
the same lines. What do you think?

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/logical-replication.html

--
With Regards,