Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables
Date: 2019-03-14 06:17:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 7:08 AM John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> > [segfault problems]
>
> This now seems spurious. I ran make distclean, git pull, reapplied the
> patch (leaving out the gettimeofday() calls), and now my upgrade perf
> test works with default compiler settings. Not sure what happened, but
> hopefully we can move forward.

Yeah, I took another pass through the patch and change minor things as
you can see in the attached patch.

1. Added an Assert in new_cluster_needs_fsm() that old cluster version
should be >= 804 as that is where fsm support has been added.
2. Reverted the old cluster version check to <= 1100. There was
nothing wrong in the way you have written a check, but I find most of
the other places in the code uses that way.
3. At one place changed the function header to be consistent with the
nearby code, run pgindent on the code and changed the commit message.

Let me know what you think?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v24-0001-During-pg_upgrade-conditionally-skip-transfer-of-FSM.patch application/octet-stream 7.4 KB