Re: display offset along with block number in vacuum errors

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Mahendra Singh Thalor <mahi6run(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: display offset along with block number in vacuum errors
Date: 2020-08-20 12:12:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:32 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:18 PM Masahiko Sawada
> <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 14:01, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 12:54 PM Masahiko Sawada
> > > <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Here, we can notice that for the index, we are getting context
> > > information but not for the heap. The reason is that in
> > > vacuum_error_callback, we are not printing additional information for
> > > phases VACUUM_ERRCB_PHASE_SCAN_HEAP and VACUUM_ERRCB_PHASE_VACUUM_HEAP
> > > when block number is invalid. If we want to cover the 'info' messages
> > > then won't it be better if we print a message in those phases even
> > > block number is invalid (something like 'while scanning relation
> > > \"%s.%s\"")
> >
> > Yeah, there is an inconsistency. I agree to print the message even
> > when the block number is invalid.
> >

> Okay, I will update this and send this patch and rebased patch to
> display offsets later today or tomorrow.

Attached are both the patches. The first one is to improve existing
error context information, so I think we should back-patch to 13. The
second one is to add additional vacuum error context information, so
that is for only HEAD. Does that make sense? Also, let me know if you
have any more comments.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v7-0001-Improve-the-vacuum-error-context-phase-informatio.patch application/octet-stream 4.1 KB
v7-0002-Add-additional-information-in-the-vacuum-error-co.patch application/octet-stream 14.4 KB