Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Date: 2015-12-21 06:27:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 1:16 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> >> Some random comments:
> >>
> >> - TransactionGroupUpdateXidStatus could do just as well without
> >> add_proc_to_group. You could just say if (group_no >= NUM_GROUPS)
> >> break; instead. Also, I think you could combine the two if statements
> >> inside the loop. if (nextidx != INVALID_PGPROCNO &&
> >> ProcGlobal->allProcs[nextidx].clogPage == proc->clogPage) break; or
> >> something like that.

Changed as per suggestion.

> >> - memberXid and memberXidstatus are terrible names. Member of what?
> >
> > How about changing them to clogGroupMemberXid and
> > clogGroupMemberXidStatus?
>
> What we've currently got for group XID clearing for the ProcArray is
> clearXid, nextClearXidElem, and backendLatestXid. We should try to
> make these things consistent. Maybe rename those to
> procArrayGroupMember, procArrayGroupNext, procArrayGroupXid

Here procArrayGroupXid sounds like Xid at group level, how about
procArrayGroupMemberXid?
Find the patch with renamed variables for PGProc
(rename_pgproc_variables_v1.patch) attached with mail.

> and then
> start all of these identifiers with clogGroup as you propose.

I have changed them accordingly in the attached patch
(group_update_clog_v4.patch) and addressed other comments given by
you.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
rename_pgproc_variables_v1.patch application/octet-stream 5.1 KB
group_update_clog_v4.patch application/octet-stream 14.3 KB