Re: Parallel Seq Scan

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Date: 2015-09-29 04:39:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I intend to commit this patch (but not the crappy test code, of
> course) pretty soon, and then I'm going to start working on the
> portion of the patch that actually adds the Funnel node, which I think
> you are working on renaming to Gather.

Attached patch is a rebased patch based on latest commit (d1b7c1ff)
for Gather node.

- I have to reorganize the defines in execParallel.h and .c. To keep
ParallelExecutorInfo, in GatherState node, we need to include execParallel.h
in execnodes.h which was creating compilation issues as execParallel.h
also includes execnodes.h, so for now I have defined ParallelExecutorInfo
in execnodes.h and instrumentation related structures in instrument.h.
- Renamed parallel_seqscan_degree to degree_of_parallelism
- Rename Funnel to Gather
- Removed PARAM_EXEC parameter handling code, I think we can do this
separately.

I have to work more on partial seq scan patch for rebasing it and handling
review comments for the same, so for now I am sending the first part of
patch (which included Gather node functionality and some general support
for parallel-query execution).

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
parallel_seqscan_gather_v19.patch application/octet-stream 56.6 KB