Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Date: 2015-05-11 06:02:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 6:01 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> This generally looks good, but I have a couple of questions before I
commit it.

> First, why is the new option for the BASE_BACKUP command of the
Streaming Replication protcol "TAR"? It seems rather misleading. Shouldn't
it be something like "TABLESPACEMAP"?

The reason to keep new option's name as TAR was that tablespace_map
was generated for that format type, but I agree with you that something
like "TABLESPACEMAP" suits better, so I have changed it to
"TABLESPACE_MAP". Putting '_' in name makes it somewhat consistent
with other names and filename it generates with this new option.

> Second, these lines in xlog.c seem wrong:
>
> else if ((ch == '\n' || ch == '\r') && prev_ch == '\\')
> str[i-1] = '\n';
>
> It looks to me like we should be putting ch in the string, not
arbitrarily transforming \r into \n.

You are right, I have changed it as per your suggestion.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
extend_basebackup_to_include_symlink_v7.patch application/octet-stream 36.2 KB