Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Date: 2014-11-20 07:27:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:46 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> >> Right, but they provide same functionality as symlinks and now we
> >> are even planing to provide this feature for both linux and windows as
> >> both Tom and Robert seems to feel, it's better that way. Anyhow,
> >> I think naming any entity generally differs based on individual's
> >> perspective, so we can go with the name which appeals to more people.
> >> In case, nobody else has any preference, I will change it to what both
> >> of us can agree upon (either 'tablespace catalog', 'tablespace_info'
...).

> > Well, I have made my argument. Since you're the submitter, feel free to
> > select what you think is the best name.
>
> For what it's worth, I, too, dislike having symlink in the name.
> Maybe "tablespace_map"?

Sounds good to me as well.

To summarize the situation of this patch, I have received below comments
on which I am planning to work:

1. Change the name of file containing tablespace path information.
2. Store tablespace name as well along with oid and path to make the
information Human readable.
3. Make the code generic (Remove #ifdef Win32 macro's and change
comments referring this functionality for windows and see if any more
changes are required to make it work on linux.)

Now the part where I would like to receive feedback before revising the
patch is on the coding style. It seems to me from Tom's comments that
he is not happy with the code, now I am not sure which part of the patch
he thinks needs change. Tom if possible, could you be slightly more
specific about your concern w.r.t code?

I have attached a rebased (on top of commit-8d7af8f) patch, just incase
some one wants to apply and check it.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
extend_basebackup_to_include_symlink_v4.patch application/octet-stream 32.7 KB