Re: Parallel Seq Scan

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Date: 2015-02-06 14:43:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:37 AM, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
wrote:

> > (Please point out me if my understanding is incorrect.)
> >
> > What happen if dynamic background worker process tries to reference
temporary
> > tables? Because buffer of temporary table blocks are allocated on
private
> > address space, its recent status is not visible to other process unless
it is
> > not flushed to the storage every time.
> >
> > Do we need to prohibit create_parallelscan_paths() to generate a path
when
> > target relation is temporary one?
> >

> Yes, we need to prohibit parallel scans on temporary relations. Will fix.

Here is the latest patch which fixes reported issues and supported
Prepared Statements and Explain Statement for parallel sequential
scan.

The main purpose is to get the feedback if possible on overall
structure/design of code before I goahead.

Note -
a. it is still based on parallel-mode-v1 [1] patch of Robert.
b. based on CommitId - fd496129 [on top of this commit, apply
Robert's patch and then the attached patch]
c. just build and tested on Windows, my linux box has some
problem, will fix that soon and verify this on linux as well.

[1]
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmoZdUK4K3XHBxc9vM-82khourEZdvQWTfgLhWsd2R2aAGQ@mail.gmail.com

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
parallel_seqscan_v6.patch application/octet-stream 101.6 KB