Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mahendra Singh Thalor <mahi6run(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <langote_amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Date: 2020-01-28 09:47:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:53 PM Mahendra Singh Thalor
<mahi6run(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > If background workers are many, then automatically, we are using them(by default parallel vacuum). This option is to put limit on background workers(limit for vacuum workers) to be used by vacuum process.
> > >

> > I don't think that the option is just to specify the max limit because
> > that is generally controlled by guc parameters. This option allows
> > users to specify the number of workers for the cases where he has more
> > knowledge about the size/type of indexes. In some cases, the user
> > might be able to make a better decision and that was the reason we
> > have added this option in the first place.
> >
> > > So I think, we can use "max parallel vacuum workers (by default, based on no. of indexes)" or "control parallel vacuum workers"
> > >

> > Hmm, I feel what I suggested is better because of the above explanation.
>
> Agreed.

Okay, thanks for the review. Attached is an updated patch. I have
additionally run pgindent. I am planning to commit the attached
tomorrow unless I see more comments.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v38-0001-Add-parallel-option-to-vacuumdb-command.patch application/octet-stream 7.0 KB