Commitfest 2018-11

From: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Commitfest 2018-11
Date: 2018-12-01 17:24:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Commitfest 2018-11 is closed. Thanks everyone who participated by posting
patches, reviewing them, occasionally committing them, commenting on ideas or
just raising one eyebrow in surprise while reading the hackers mailing list.

I've turned off my spam machine and wanted to share some results:

* Obligatory graph with the numbers of committed, moved, returned and rejected
CF patches over the time you can find in [cf_items_status.png]

* It was a bit frustrating to see a significant number of stale items, where an
author was not interested in it anymore (and sometimes both author and
assigned reviewer). Just out of curiosity I quickly looked at the following
statistics - in the set of all the CF patches authors (I was considering an
author as a person, who send a first email in thread), how many commitfests
happened between the first and the last submitted patch (it could be the same
patch going through several commitfests). The histogramm of the distribution
for this value you can find in [cf_authors_span.png] - as you can
see the majority
of authors submitted only once. Of course this statistics may not be exactly
correct, since there are other ways of contributing patches besides just
registering in the application, and there could be a lot of reasons for this
kind of trend. But at the end of the day it looks like the scenario, when a
person managed to overcome "entrance" complexity, read the code, sometimes
understand and modify it to achieve a goal - and then stopped. I hope it's
not a sign that the community is loosing potential contributors.

* I also noticed, that a lot of people add themselves as reviewers without
actually doing any review. I started to think that probably it's some sort of
"bookmarking", so probably it would be a good feature request for CF
application - to allow mark some items as "interesting" for you.

Attachment Content-Type Size
cf_items_status.png image/png 137.7 KB
image/png 31.7 KB