Re: Index Skip Scan

From: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Floris Van Nee <florisvannee(at)optiver(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com" <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bhushan Uparkar <bhushan(dot)uparkar(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Index Skip Scan
Date: 2019-08-28 15:53:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 10:38 PM Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Of course we can modify it to read a whole page and leave visibility check
> for the code after `index_getnext_tid` (although in case if we know that all
> tuples on this page are visilbe I guess it's not strictly necessary, but we
> still get improvement from skipping itself).

Sorry for long delay. Here is more or less what I had in mind. After changing
read_closest to read the whole page I couldn't resist to just merge it into
readpage itself, since it's basically the same. It could raise questions about
performance and how intrusive this patch is, but I hope it's not that much of a
problem (in the worst case we can split it back). I've also added few tests for
the issue you've mentioned. Thanks again, I'm appreciate how much efforts you
put into reviewing!

Attachment Content-Type Size
v24-0001-Index-skip-scan.patch application/octet-stream 80.4 KB