Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take

From: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
Date: 2018-10-28 20:41:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 13:25, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Here I attached the cumulative patch with all fixes that are shared in earlier mails by me.
> Except fast_default test, rest of test failures are fixed.

Hi,

If I understand correctly, these patches are for the branch "pluggable-storage"
in [1] (at least I couldn't apply them cleanly to "pluggable-zheap" branch),
right? I've tried to experiment a bit with the current status of the patch, and
accidentally stumbled upon what seems to be an issue - when I run pgbench
agains it with some significant number of clients and script [2]:

$ pgbench -T 60 -c 128 -j 64 -f zipfian.sql

I've got for some client an error:

client 117 aborted in command 5 (SQL) of script 0; ERROR:
unrecognized heap_update status: 1

This problem couldn't be reproduced on the master branch, so I've tried to
investigate it. It comes from nodeModifyTable.c:1267, when we've got
HeapTupleInvisible as a result, and this value in turn comes from
table_lock_tuple. Everything points to the new way of handling HeapTupleUpdated
result from heap_update, when table_lock_tuple call was introduced. Since I
don't see anything similar in the master branch, can anyone clarify why is this
lock necessary here? Out of curiosity I've rearranged the code, that handles
HeapTupleUpdated, back to switch and removed table_lock_tuple (see the attached
patch, it can be applied on top of the lastest two patches posted by Haribabu)
and it seems to solve the issue.

[1]: https://github.com/anarazel/postgres-pluggable-storage
[2]: https://gist.github.com/erthalion/c85ba0e12146596d24c572234501e756

Attachment Content-Type Size
unrecognized_heap_status.patch application/octet-stream 2.8 KB