Re: Collation versioning

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Collation versioning
Date: 2019-10-03 12:25:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 7:53 AM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> >> Ack.
> >
> > Ok, here's a little patch like that.
> >
> > postgres=# select collname, collcollate, collversion from pg_collation
> > where collname = 'en_NZ';
> > collname | collcollate | collversion
> > ----------+-------------+-------------
> > en_NZ | en_NZ.utf8 | 2.24
> > (1 row)
>
> After, um, briefly sleeping on this, I would like to go ahead with this.
>
> There is ongoing work to make ICU available globally, and as part of
> that I've also proposed a way to make the collation version tracking
> work on a database level.
>
> This here would be a useful piece on the overall picture. Independent
> of what becomes of the ICU effort, we could have glibc collation version
> tracking completely working for PG13.

+1

Also, better ideas about which objects to attach versions to can come
along independently of this.

> The only open question on this patch was whether it's a good version to
> use. I think based on subsequent discussions, there was the realization
> that this is the best we can do and better than nothing.
>
> In the patch, I would skip the configure test and just do
>
> #ifdef __GLIBC__
>
> directly.

Ok. Here's one like that. Also, a WIP patch for FreeBSD.

Thanks,
Thomas

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Use-libc-version-as-a-collation-version-on-glibc-sys.patch text/x-patch 1.6 KB
0002-WIP-Use-querylocale-for-collation-versions-on-FreeBS.patch text/x-patch 1.2 KB