PostmasterIsAlive() in recovery (non-USE_POST_MASTER_DEATH_SIGNAL builds)

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: PostmasterIsAlive() in recovery (non-USE_POST_MASTER_DEATH_SIGNAL builds)
Date: 2020-09-17 09:48:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

In commits 9f095299 and f98b8476 we improved recovery performance on
Linux and FreeBSD but we didn't help other operating systems. David
just confirmed for me that commenting out the PostmasterIsAlive() call
in the main recovery loop speeds up crash recovery considerably on his
Windows system: 93s -> 70s or 1.32x faster. So I think we should do
something like what Heikki originally proposed to lower the frequency
of checks, on systems where we don't have the ability to skip the
check completely. Please see attached.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Poll-postmaster-less-frequently-in-recovery.patch text/x-patch 1.8 KB