Re: Backends stunk in wait event IPC/MessageQueueInternal

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backends stunk in wait event IPC/MessageQueueInternal
Date: 2022-05-13 22:25:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 9:25 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> In short, I'd recommend -DWAIT_USE_POLL for now. It's possible that
> we could do something to prevent the selection of WAIT_USE_EPOLL on
> that platform, or that we should have a halfway option epoll() but not
> signalfd() (= go back to using the self-pipe trick), patches welcome,
> but that feels kinda strange and would be very niche combination that
> isn't fun to maintain... the real solution is to fix the bug.

I felt a bit sad about writing that, so I took a crack at trying to
write a patch that separates the signalfd/self-pipe choice from the
epoll/poll choice. Maybe it's not too bad.

Japin, are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Did I guess
right, that you're on illumos? Does this help? I used
defined(__sun__) to select the option, but I don't remember if that's
the right way to detect that OS family, could you confirm that, or
adjust as required?

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Don-t-trust-signalfd-on-illumos.patch text/x-patch 4.0 KB