Re: Collation versioning

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Douglas Doole <dougdoole(at)gmail(dot)com>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Collation versioning
Date: 2020-11-04 01:20:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 10:56 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 10:52 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > We want the same algorithm that Windows uses internally to resolve the
> > > old style name to a collation; in other words we probably want
> > > something more like the code path that they took away in VS2015 :-(.
> >
> > Yeah. In the short run, though, it'd be nice to un-break the buildfarm.
> > Maybe we could push David's code or something similar, and then
> > contemplate better ways at leisure?
>
> Ok, yeah, I'll do that in the next few hours.

I can't bring myself to commit that, it's not really in the spirit of
this data integrity feature, and it's not our business to second guess
the relationship between different locale naming schemes through fuzzy
logic. Instead, I propose to just neuter the feature if Windows
decides it can't understand a locale names that it gave us. It should
still work fine with something like initdb --lc-collate=en-US. Here's
an untested patch. Thoughts?

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Tolerate-version-lookup-failure-for-old-style-Window.patch text/x-patch 2.0 KB