Re: Fix DROP TABLESPACE on Windows with ProcSignalBarrier?

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix DROP TABLESPACE on Windows with ProcSignalBarrier?
Date: 2022-02-11 21:22:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 10:23 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> That's fixed now. So what should we do about this patch? This is a
> bug, so it would be nice to do *something*. I don't really like the
> fact that this makes the behavior contingent on USE_ASSERT_CHECKING,
> and I suggest that you make a new symbol like USE_BARRIER_SMGR_RELEASE
> which by default gets defined on WIN32, but can be defined elsewhere
> if you want (see the treatment of EXEC_BACKEND in pg_config_manual.h).

Ok, done like that.

> Furthermore, I can't see back-patching this, given that it would be
> the very first use of the barrier machinery. But I think it would be
> good to get something into master, because then we'd actually be using
> this procsignalbarrier stuff for something. On a good day we've fixed
> a bug. On a bad day we'll learn something new about how
> procsignalbarrier needs to work.

Agreed.

Pushed. The basic Windows/tablespace bug seen occasionally in CI[1]
should now be fixed.

For the sake of the archives, here's a link to the ongoing discussion
about further potential uses of this mechanism:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20220209220004.kb3dgtn2x2k2gtdm%40alap3.anarazel.de

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BhUKGJp-m8uAD_wS7%2BdkTgif013SNBSoJujWxvRUzZ1nkoUyA%40mail.gmail.com