Re: Add client connection check during the execution of the query

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Maksim Milyutin <milyutinma(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add client connection check during the execution of the query
Date: 2021-04-02 20:27:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 6:18 PM tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> The patch looks committable to me.

I checked for performance impact compared to master with pgbench -S,
and didn't see any problem. I thought more about how to write a
decent race-free test but struggled with the lack of a good way to
control multiple connections from TAP tests and gave up for now. I
previously tried to write something to help with that, but abandoned
it because it was terrible[1]. It seems a bit strange to me that psql
has to be involved at all, and we don't have a simple way to connect
one or more sockets and speak the protocol from perl.

Pushed! Thanks to all who contributed.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BhUKG%2BFkUuDv-bcBns%3DZ_O-V9QGW0nWZNHOkEPxHZWjegRXvw%40mail.gmail.com,
see v2-0006-Add-TAP-test-for-snapshot-too-old.patch