Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

From: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, Mahendra Singh <mahi6run(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <langote_amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Date: 2019-12-19 05:41:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 at 19:06, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 12:04 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 11:46 AM Masahiko Sawada
> > <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Good catch. Currently when creating a parallel context the number of
> > > workers passed to CreateParallelContext() is set not only to
> > > pcxt->nworkers but also pcxt->nworkers_to_launch. We would need to
> > > specify the number of workers actually to launch after created the
> > > parallel context or when creating it. Or I think we call
> > > ReinitializeParallelDSM() even the first time running index vacuum.
> > >

> > How about just having ReinitializeParallelWorkers which can be called
> > only via vacuum even for the first time before the launch of workers
> > as of now?
> >

> See in the attached what I have in mind. Few other comments:
>
> 1.
> + shared->disable_delay = (params->options & VACOPT_FAST);
>
> This should be part of the third patch.
>
> 2.
> +lazy_parallel_vacuum_indexes(Relation *Irel, IndexBulkDeleteResult **stats,
> + LVRelStats *vacrelstats, LVParallelState *lps,
> + int nindexes)
> {
> ..
> ..
> + /* Cap by the worker we computed at the beginning of parallel lazy vacuum */
> + nworkers = Min(nworkers, lps->pcxt->nworkers);
> ..
> }
>
> This should be Assert. In no case, the computed workers can be more
> than what we have in context.
>
> 3.
> + if (((vacoptions & VACUUM_OPTION_PARALLEL_CLEANUP) != 0) ||
> + ((vacoptions & VACUUM_OPTION_PARALLEL_CLEANUP) != 0))
> + nindexes_parallel_cleanup++;
>
> I think the second condition should be VACUUM_OPTION_PARALLEL_COND_CLEANUP.
>
> I have fixed the above comments and some given by me earlier [1] in
> the attached patch. The attached patch is a diff on top of
> v36-0002-Add-parallel-option-to-VACUUM-command.

Thank you!

- /* Cap by the worker we computed at the beginning of parallel lazy vacuum */
- nworkers = Min(nworkers, lps->pcxt->nworkers);
+ /*
+ * The number of workers required for parallel vacuum phase must be less
+ * than the number of workers with which parallel context is initialized.
+ */
+ Assert(lps->pcxt->nworkers >= nworkers);

Regarding the above change in your patch I think we need to cap the
number of workers by lps->pcxt->nworkers because the computation of
the number of indexes based on lps->nindexes_paralle_XXX can be larger
than the number determined when creating the parallel context, for
example, when max_parallel_maintenance_workers is smaller than the
number of indexes that can be vacuumed in parallel at bulkdelete
phase.

> Few other comments which I have not fixed:
>
> 4.
> + if (Irel[i]->rd_indam->amusemaintenanceworkmem)
> + nindexes_mwm++;
> +
> + /* Skip indexes that don't participate parallel index vacuum */
> + if (vacoptions == VACUUM_OPTION_NO_PARALLEL ||
> + RelationGetNumberOfBlocks(Irel[i]) < min_parallel_index_scan_size)
> + continue;
>
> Won't we need to worry about the number of indexes that uses
> maintenance_work_mem only for indexes that can participate in a
> parallel vacuum? If so, the above checks need to be reversed.

You're right. Fixed.

> 5.
> /*
> + * Remember indexes that can participate parallel index vacuum and use
> + * it for index statistics initialization on DSM because the index
> + * size can get bigger during vacuum.
> + */
> + can_parallel_vacuum[i] = true;
>
> I am not able to understand the second part of the comment ("because
> the index size can get bigger during vacuum."). What is its
> relevance?

I meant that the indexes can be begger even during vacuum. So we need
to check the size of indexes and determine participations of parallel
index vacuum at one place.

> 6.
> +/*
> + * Vacuum or cleanup indexes that can be processed by only the leader process
> + * because these indexes don't support parallel operation at that phase.
> + * Therefore this function must be called by the leader process.
> + */
> +static void
> +vacuum_indexes_leader(Relation *Irel, int nindexes,
> IndexBulkDeleteResult **stats,
> + LVRelStats *vacrelstats, LVParallelState *lps)
> {
> ..
>
> Why you have changed the order of nindexes parameter? I think in the
> previous patch, it was the last parameter and that seems to be better
> place for it.

Since some existing codes place nindexes right after *Irel I thought
it's more understandable but I'm also fine with the previous order.

> Also, I think after the latest modifications, you can
> remove the second sentence in the above comment ("Therefore this
> function must be called by the leader process.).

Fixed.

> 7.
> + for (i = 0; i < nindexes; i++)
> + {
> + bool leader_only = (get_indstats(lps->lvshared, i) == NULL ||
> + skip_parallel_vacuum_index(Irel[i], lps->lvshared));
> +
> + /* Skip the indexes that can be processed by parallel workers */
> + if (!leader_only)
> + continue;
>
> It is better to name this parameter as skip_index or something like that.

Fixed.

Attached the updated version patch. This version patch incorporates
the above comments and the comments from Mahendra. I also fixed one
bug around determining the indexes that are vacuumed in parallel based
on their option and size. Please review it.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v37-0003-Add-FAST-option-to-vacuum-command.patch application/octet-stream 9.8 KB
v37-0002-Add-parallel-option-to-VACUUM-command.patch application/octet-stream 75.8 KB
v37-0001-Add-index-AM-field-and-callback-for-parallel-ind.patch application/octet-stream 10.1 KB