Re: Boundary value check in lazy_tid_reaped()

From: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Boundary value check in lazy_tid_reaped()
Date: 2020-09-10 13:47:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 08:01, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 1:56 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> > I wonder if Roaring bitmaps would work well for this:
> >
> > https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.07821
>
> Alternatively, perhaps we could use a negative cache of heap blocks
> that have no tuples to kill at all. Maybe just a simple array whose
> elements are BlockNumber pairs. Each pair represents a range of blocks
> known to contain heap pages that *don't* have any TIDs for VACUUM to
> kill. The array could be size limited to 8KB, allowing it to be
> accessed in L1 cache throughout vacuuming. When the representation
> cannot fit in 8KB, maybe we disable the negative cache for the rest of
> the VACUUM operation.
>
> This is a bit like Masahiko's min_blkno + max_blkno idea, except: 1).
> It's a negative cache, and 2.) There are perhaps as many as 1024
> min/max pairs -- not just 1.

Interesting idea. Maybe we need one more bsearch() for the min/max
pairs array when a TID should be killed?

> It's pretty clear that more than 90% of all calls to lazy_tid_reaped()
> return false unless vacuum is running behind (false means "don't kill
> this TID, it's alive"). But it could be much more than 90%. This may
> be because autovacuum is configured to run more aggressively than the
> default settings allow. But it may also happen when LP_DEAD killing in
> indexes works well enough to do most of the cleanup needed in
> practice. I bet pgbench finds that ~99% of all calls to
> lazy_tid_reaped() that take place during index vacuuming find that the
> TID doesn't need to be killed. So negative caching could really help.

I agree that lazy_tid_reaped() returns false in most checks in the
case autovacuum is not running behind. But I'm concerned a bit that it
instead costs the case where vacuum needs to kill many TIDs and uses
the min/max filter because it needs to call bsearch() twice. I think
that this is the case where autovacuum is running behind and the user
wants to complete the vacuum as soon as possible. Since I expect that
checking the filtering using min/max pairs array should be done in a
very short time it might not be a problem but I think it’s worth
benchmarking the overhead in the worst case. Or I guess we can use a
bloom filter for this purpose instead.

Also, I'm concerned that 1024 min/max pairs might not be enough in
practice, especially for very large tables.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/