Re: Large C files

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large C files
Date: 2011-09-08 06:15:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Please lets not waste effort on refactoring efforts in mid dev cycle.
>
> Say what?  When else would you have us do it?

When else would you have us develop?

Major changes happen at start of a dev cycle, after some discussion.
Not in the middle and especially not for low priority items. It's not
even a bug, just code beautification.

We've all accepted the need for some change, but I would like to see
it happen slowly and carefully because of the very high risk of
introducing bugs into stable code that doesn't have a formal
verification mechanism currently. Anybody that could be trusted to
make those changes ought to have something better to do. If they don't
then that is in itself a much more serious issue than this.